Friday, December 16, 2016

Hex Morbidity Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?



I’ve just released the ‘Hex Morbidity’ EP which is getting in some good reviews and is being enjoyed by other members of the British black metal scene. I’m currently composing a live line up too and will be making announcements for new members and hopefully gigs in the New Year.



2.Recently you have released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



It is more emotion fuelled and impassioned. It is faster, more melodic, more varied, and a much more accomplished sounding work than the previously rough and dodgy demos (laughs).



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your new music?



My lyrics are kind of like a personal diary based off experiences, emotions and reflections. On this new EP two of the songs have romantic themes and one, ‘The Spirits of Aldwych’ is somewhat a tribute to those people who lost their lives during the Blitz on London in the Second World War.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Hex Morbidity'?



The meaning is a reference to death’s ever constant presence and hold over our world. I honestly don’t remember where I got the original spark of inspiration from but the name just stuck and I quickly took to it.



5.Originally you had a fine line up and now are a solo project, what was the decision behind going into this direction and also are you open to working with other musicians again in the future?



The decision was purely based off not finding the right people in the first place- they weren’t technically talented enough and they weren’t fully behind the concept of the band so I played everything myself largely out of necessity. However, since moving to London I have already found a new guitarist, who I’ll be announcing shortly, and I will be looking to complete the line-up in the New Year.



6.When you had a full lineup did you ever do any shows?



No- in fact the line-up was only together long enough for a handful of rehearsals. With the new full line-up that’s coming up though I plan to gig and tour extensively with an elaborate stage show.



7.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have any interest?



I am not actively searching for a label as my current aim is to play live and just write more material. If the right offer came along though I’d certainly been open to it.



8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?



Very good! The reception has been stronger in the UK where I target a lot of promotion but over the years I’ve been lucky to have people enjoy my music from all corners of the globe.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?



I think I will continue in the melodic direction but possibly strip things back and get a little more raw again. My focus is on writing songs that people will remember, and a catchy riff or chorus is invaluable to me



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



On this EP the big influences were Genesis, Eastern Front, Hecate Enthroned, My Dying Bride- all English bands strangely. This year I’ve been disappointed by the black metal scene so I’ve been listening to Marissa Nadler, David Bowie, Thee Oh Sees, lots of classical (mainly romantic composers) but I go to a lot of underground metal gigs and I love watching the British black metal bands live, especially as I feel like they are what I have to compete with.



11.How would you describe your views on 'Occultism'?



Occultism is something I’ve explored and read about a fair bit over the last couple of years but it is not my path. I appreciate the dogma and the aesthetics but I prefer to revel in the power of nature, not demons or devils.



12. What are some of your non musical interests?



I’m a very heavy reader, mainly classic literature and poetry, and a very enthusiastic cook (laughs). I now live in London which is a place I find hard to bare so I love to escape humanity and just be alone in nature so I try to visit woods in the county of Essex a lot and also return to where I used to live to be by the beach and hear those natural sounds again.



13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thanks very much for the interview. For all readers who think they might enjoy some melancholic black metal from England, I urge you to check out the Hex Morbidity Facebook page and to download the entire EP for FREE at Bandcamp.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment