Friday, January 2, 2015

Feral Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Feral is a solo black metal project from Tabusintac, New Brunswick started by Desekratewhore bassist J. Feral in 2012.
 Debut full length album "For Those Who Live In Darkness" was recorded in fall 2014 with Jerm's Productions and released Oct 23 2014.

2.Recently you have released your first full length album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

The album definitely has a raw black metal sound that is unique and very eerie and also incorporates a lot of bluesy rock and roll solos and a little bit of acoustics that create a change of pace from the instrumental attack.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you explore with your music?

The lyrics focus on Celtic occult, clairvoyance, and the negative aspects of modern culture.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Feral'?

The entity that exists through my music is an untamed and wild creature that I've always felt isolated inside of me. I let this feral beast exist freely through my music.

5.With this musical project you record everything myself, do you feel you where able to capture what your vision of black metal is by working solos than you would of been able to do with a full line up?

Writing and tracking everything myself is certainly a lot of work however it gives me control over my sound. With other musicians ideas and visions often collide so writing and tracking everything keeps my vision consistent and gives me a lot of freedom.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I am in contact with some labels but I am seeking international distribution.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

So far the feedback has been good however I'm still trying to put it out for more people to hear.

8.According to the facebook page you are also a part of a few other bands, can you tell us a little bit more about them and the musical styles that they play?

I currently play bass with Desekratewhore from Toronto which plays a bit of a blend of old school thrash and traditional black metal. We released our second full length album "Mind's Deception" in Feb 2014.

I also play bass with Toronto black metal band Volk, which will be playing our cd release show March 13 2015.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into musically during the future?

I'm currently writing the next Feral full length album to be recorded in August 2015 again with Jerm's Productions. This album will have a much more melodic sound and will incorporate both occult and human concepts in the lyrics as well as a lot personal allegory. I feel this album will have a unique sound that black metal (or any metal for that matter) has not seen before.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Black Sabbath and Burzum are definitely my biggest influences. I listen to anything that has come from rock and roll and created it's own unique sound.

11.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?

Occultism definitely has a big role in both my music and lyrics. Black magic definitely has a role in my music but not traditional Satanism.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Intense exercise and occult studies are a major interest of mine. Anything that develops the Self. I also love exploring nature. I've been through all the provinces of Canada and I plan to take my journey to the Great Bear Rainforest and the territories next.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

It's been a pleasure working with OccultBlackMetalZine and I encourage everyone to check out "For Those Who Live In Darkness" as Feral continues to grow, flourish, and succeed.

Many thanks,

J.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment